As I may have mentioned, I’ve gotten really into the ACOTAR books lately, which contains all the fantastic romance tropes I love, so I thought, why not make an absolutely unhinged blog about my favourite romance tropes in books?
So, what is a trope?
My favourite ones, in no particular order:
- The ‘who hurt you?’/ ‘who did this to you’ trope
Unparalleled. I will not be taking a discussion on this. It will always be the punch-to-gut, heartbreaking moment where character a realises how deeply character b cares.
Like, Goodreads literally has a list of them
- The Enemies to lovers one
Overdone? Yes. Always walking that tricky line between sexy and toxic? Also yes.
But every time a story has this is hits the fucking spot.
- The fated/ mated/ soulmate trope
Hmmm could be considered in contradiction to the former point but if a book’s clever it can run in parallel (like in the second ACOTAR book or in The Five Kindoms of Okrith books).
Girly swoons all round. I love that shit.
- The flirty/ witty banter trope
Maybe it’s just because I’m a sarcastic bitch when I’m being flirty but I fucking love this one.
- Himbo guy with the bitch queen trope
Nothing more to say.
- The ‘she’s mine/he’s mine/they’re mine’ trope
Again, we might be walking the dangerous toxic line again but these are fictional men so bore off.
- Grumpy character and sunshine character fall in love trope
Ohhh I’m a sucker for it and I will not feel shame about it.
- Fake relationship trope
Ohhh they need to ‘pretend they are dating’, oh noo…
- ‘Letting go of a breath they didn’t know they were holding’ trope
Yes please. Any day of the week. Please and thank you.
- When Character A does something badass and character B is turned on trope
A little too specific? Because it’s everywhere once you start to notice it and I fucking love it.
- Character A is injured and Character B cares for them trope
Bonus points if they sleep all night next to them waiting for them to recover/ wake up.
- Never say they’re name/ name is said like a prayer tropeBonus points if its during a spicy scene and it’s what makes it… *ahem* finish
- Help/ hold each other during a nightmare
This will never, ever fail to make to my little girly heart bleed.
Bonus points if the character a sleeps naked and character b is trying to preserve their dignity and not notice.
There you go, I’ve shown you mine and probably give the internet a far deeper glimpse into my psychology than I would like, will you tell me some of your favourite tropes?
(Also, these incredibly specific memes took bloody ages to find, so y’all better appreciate.)